2/21/2012

5 ways I use to build a song melody

I'm writing this post in response to a question asked on radio ITV last week about how I compose tunes and melodies. The answer comes easy to me, I'm happy to give some tips, and the question comes at time when I've been reflecting for months about how I create and write my songs. It's been very difficult to satisfy myself with my recent stuff, a kind of so/so result, that leaves me with the impression that I'v become stagnant.

In the ten past years, I've composed about fifty songs for myself, or for other bands. This winter, I had a strange feeling that I'm still writing the same stuff I did a few years ago.

Here's how I usually play, and some of the ways I try to improve. I speak only about tune and music, songwriting is also another challenge, later maybe.

Here we go :

1 - Building a chord progression :

It's the technique that I've used for years to go with a new melody. Despite the fact my favourite chords flow often in a new progression, I instinctively use this. Then, I add my singing on top of that.

2 - Singing a melody :

A classic way to work. Not for me. Because I put more attention to my guitar playing maybe ? But, I sing and hum when driving my car, I then sometimes record ideas with my smartphone and figure it out with my guitar back home.

3 - Playing a melody :

Improvising a tune with my guitar. A tune, not strumming chords. I sing exactly the same tune as I play, and sometimes I surprise myself because I could never sing that before. My hand and my mouth never sing the same thing, and maybe they could help each other ?

4 - Tunings :

I usually play in DADGAD, DGDGBD, Standard. Switching a tuning from another one can be a good surprise (not always). Or I take up a mandolin and I try it. For me a different guitar tuning is like playing another instrument.

5 - Reversing :

To be honest, I've never used this. But I remember 5 years ago in a recording studio, the recording engineer reversed, for fun, a guitar section, and it was incredible : a brand new melody explosed to my ears. Maybe someday ? .

So folks, that's all. And I'm looking forward to your comments and experiences. Feel free to answer.

Dom

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous21/3/12

    je trouvais sympa de detailler ce genre de reflexion , autant pour moi que pour d'autres et ça intéresse tjs le public ce genre de petit article! Donc bien vu! :-)
    Colline Hill

    ReplyDelete